Monday, January 19, 2009

National Day of Service

President-elect Obama's call to make MLK Day a national day of service strikes a strongly positive chord for me. Community volunteering has always been important, and too many people don't make time to help out others.

I was delighted to find that many of the events organized here in the DC area for today have reported they already had as many volunteers as they could use. My friend Chris and I are instead bringing a supply of healthy nonperishable food to the Arlington Food Bank. We will do more active service on other days. I hope many others will, too. The best way we can honor the memory of Martin Luther King, Jr. and our new president is to live each day as active members of our communities, unwilling to ignore problems or walk past those who need our help. We are one nation.

To find how to get involved near your home, visit http://usaservice.org.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment